What Size Air Conditioner Do I Need?
How do you find the right sized air conditioning system for you home and your family’s comfort? This is a question our commercial and residential customers in Nanaimo have been asking us at Norm’s Mobile Service Ltd for more than 45 years. Over the years, we’ve picked up a few hints and tips to help you control your air conditioning installation, maintenance, and repair cost.
Air conditioners perform three basic functions: they lower the air temperature, remove air moisture, and filter the air. You have 3 options when it comes to purchasing an air conditioning unit: window units, portable, or built in.
- Window units can be installed in either a single- or double-hung window and are the most popular because they are affordable and easy to install.
- Freestanding portable air conditioners can be moved between rooms but can be heavy and are less efficient than newer window units.
- Built-in air conditioners can be installed in your wall for permanent placement and can provide both cold and hot air. Larger central air units may require professional installation.
Now you need to select the right option for your space. By choosing the right amount of air conditioner BTUs, or British thermal unit, for your room size to get the most energy-efficient cooling system. The BTU rating is a number that essentially tells you how quickly and effectively a unit can cool a room. It’s important to consider factors such as ceiling height, room insulation, sun exposure, location and your area’s climate when choosing a unit with the right BTU rating:
- Calculate your room size - Multiply the room length by the room width (in feet) to get the square footage of the area to be cooled.
- Check your connections - Check out your power source (nearby outlet) and make sure to match the unit to that outlet.
- Measure to fit - Measure the height and width of the opening and check the dimensions of the AC unit you select to be sure it will fit.
For increased savings, all air conditioning units are labelled with an Energy Efficiency Rating (EER). Units with higher ratings offer lower greenhouse emissions and monthly electric bills. Check the yellow Energy Guide label on new air conditioners for more information.
At Norm’s Mobile Service Ltd., we have the equipment and expertise to install, service, and repair air conditioning in Nanaimo. All our work is guaranteed and covered under our no-hassle warranty with competitive rates and no hidden costs. Contact Norm’s Mobile Service Ltd. at 250‑753‑3641 for a free phone consultation and to set up an appointment to discuss your air conditioning options in Nanaimo today.