If pipes are old or damaged, they may have been structurally weakened and be more likely to burst. The most common direct cause of burst pipes in Nanaimo is, in fact, water. Although it doesn’t get as cold on Vancouver Island as it does in many other parts of Canada, it’s still cold enough that any water in our pipes can freeze and thaw many times during the year. This constant change in temperature causes water to expand and contract, putting pressure on our pipes. If your pipes have also been structurally weakened, your chances of a burst pipe only go up. Here are a few preventative measures you can take to protect yourself from burst pipes:
- Insulate your pipes, particularly those exposed to the outside air or in an unheated part of the house.
- During the winter, leave your heat on at a low temperature to prevent water from freezing.
- Fix any leaks quickly. They can get worse, or weaken the overall structure of your plumbing. Your pipes are only as strong as their weakest point.
Even if you take every preventative measure possible, leaks and burst pipes still occur sometimes. Here are a few steps you should take if a pipe does burst:
- Identify the source of the water. This may be more difficult than it appears at first, as any leaks or burst pipes in the floors or walls may not be where you first see water.
- Close the stopcock (the valve that regulates the flow of water for your house). This will prevent any damage from getting worse.
- Avoid any electrical devices. They can be dangerous with excess water around them.
- Move any furniture or valuables away from the affected area.
- Remove any excess water.
Of course, the best way to prevent any plumbing problem is to regularly have it checked by a local Nanaimo professional. Whether it’s just a regular inspection or an emergency situation, we at Norm’s Mobile Services Ltd. are here for you. We’re a family-owned part of the community and have been plumbing experts in Nanaimo for 45 years. Contact us today to learn more about your plumbing or any heating, ventilation, or air conditioning issues.